Since that time I have often wondered how the liberal rank and file, rebranding themselves Progressives after people became aware of what liberals represent, remain supporters of the Democratic Party. I've come to understand that in order to be a liberal, you must have a certain mindset that relies on emotion and remaining in good standing with your clique rather than facts when deciding what issue they like and those policies and politics they will support. I lurk around such noted blogs as the Huffington Post, Moveon.org, pharyngula (an atheist's heaven) and have offered facts as I know them to many of the commentators and blog writers. Of course I receive many negative comments that are normally devoid of facts, if my contributions make it past the censors.
Most recently, I visited the Democratic Underground. Their admins fully support my theory of like-minded people gathering in one place to discuss how right they are and how anyone who disagrees with them just doesn't get it. I was considering posting a comment but needed to register. The registration page had a link to the rules for commenting and while I like to help out, I skipped the whole thing after reading the discussion rules.
Here are the rules and a translation of their meaning.
Discussion Forum Rules.If they do not like you based on your opinion, you will not be allowed to alter their really and will be shunned and banned.
1. This is a moderated discussion forum with rules. We have a team of volunteer moderators who delete posts and ban disruptors. Members are strongly urged to familiarize themselves with our rules, and make an effort to become a positive member of our community. Those who do not risk having their posts deleted or their posting privileges revoked.
2. Who We Are: Democratic Underground is an online community for Democrats and other progressives. Members are expected to be generally supportive of progressive ideals, and to support Democratic candidates for political office. Democratic Underground is not affiliated with the Democratic Party, and comments posted here are not representative of the Democratic Party or its candidates.If you do not tow our party line, you are not welcome. Be a good soldier or leave, and leave quickly.
3. Civility: Treat other members with respect. Do not post personal attacks against other members of this discussion forum.We can call others names, make fun of them, restrict their speech while here, but don't try it with your fellow emotional progressives or you are outta here.
4. Content: Do not post messages that are inflammatory, extreme, divisive, incoherent, or otherwise inappropriate. Do not engage in anti-social, disruptive, or trolling behavior. Do not post broad-brush, bigoted statements. The moderators and administrators work very hard to enforce some minimal standards regarding what content is appropriate. But please remember that this is a large and diverse community that includes a broad range of opinion. People who are easily offended, or who are not accustomed to having their opinions (including deeply held personal convictions) challenged may not feel entirely comfortable here. A thick skin is necessary to participate on this or any other discussion forum.The area of inflammatory and extreme belongs to us for use against anyone who disagrees with us. If they are using facts to back up their claims, it is even worse. Only we are permitted to use this type of language against those others, but it can never be directed at your fellow disruptive trolling anti-social bigots.
6. Forum Administration: Respect the moderators and administrators, and respect their decisions. You can help make their job easier by clicking the "Alert" link on any post that might need moderator attention. Please understand that moderating errors and inconsistencies are inevitable on a large website like this. If you have a question about DU policies, or if you have a concern about an action a moderator has taken, please contact an admin privately.Since we are always correct, any allusion to any other position will be treated as being disrespectful of your betters. And believe us, you have betters. Now shut up and tow that line.
The censorship at the Democratic Underground is too prohibitive to be American. It must be more of the post American left, who do not understand the US Constitution, including the Bill of Rights, or how this country was made great through individual freedom and rugged individualism who tried not to be a burden on their neighbors. True Americans are actually ashamed to be required to depend on government to survive (except for national security) and all any real American wants is an equal chance at success in life. Something that many in this government has been working against since at least 1933.