I rad an interesting article that goes to heart of problems we see manifesting themselves as more and more Americans grow up to be dependents of the government titledDr. Tim Elmore.
Here is the bullet list. Read Ms. Capeino's article for details.
- We don’t let our children experience risk
- We rescue too quickly
- We rave too easily
- We let guilt get in the way of leading well
- We don’t share our past mistakes
- We mistake intelligence, giftedness and influence for maturity
- We don’t practice what we preach
I believe the best, and therefore the hardest, was saved for last. The US Army refers to it as "setting the example". Teach your troops how to act and react by knowing and doing the right thing (be, know, do).
As a parent it can be very hard lead the life you would want your children to lead. Whether from weakness , complications of marriage or work, or absent mindedness, we never live up to the standards we set for our kids. Money is also an issue, but looking back you can realize that the money wasn't as important as we thought it was.